37. ON THE ROAD TO EMMAUS (Luke 24:13-35)
BACKGROUND: Emmaus was a village about 11 kilometers from Jerusalem. It takes at least two hours to walk this distance. Mary, the wife of Clopas, is mentioned as one of the women standing near the cross when Jesus died
(John 19:25). She might have been the wife of Cleopas of this
GLAD TIDINGS: Jesus broke the bread in the house of Cleopas with his hands marked by scars. The two men might have recognized Jesus by these scars. We can meet the risen Christ in the same way every time we take part in the Lord's Supper.
- If you have ever lost a person you loved, you know what kind of thoughts, feelings and regrets one is sitting with after the funeral. Tell about them.
- Jesus had died two days earlier in a very cruel way. What do you think had been most difficult for Cleopas and his friend during these
- Why did Jesus first allow these two mourning men speak out their sorrow
- What would have happened if Jesus had started his explanation of the Bible right away?
- Jesus knows all our sorrows already - why does he want to hear them from our own
- How did the faith of these two men change after the death of Jesus
- Why didn't these two believe what the women and others told them about the resurrection
- What is the difference between the interpretation Jesus gives about his own death and the interpretation Cleopas and his friend give about it
(vs. 19-21 and 25-27)?
- Why didn't Cleopas understand from Moses and the Prophets (i.e. the Bible) that it was necessary for Christ to suffer and
- Why did Jesus act as if he were going farther (vs. 28)?
- Why didn't the two men realize who Jesus was until he was breaking the
- What made these two men walk the 11 kilometers back to Jerusalem in the
- In our day, many people who call themselves Christians don't believe in the bodily resurrection of Jesus. What kind of God do these people believe in?
- Why can't a person be a Christian, who doesn't believe in the bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ?
© 2012 Glad Tidings Bible Studies - www.gladtidings-bs.com